1. Industries or Consulting firm Employers
- Industries including: Manufacturing, Transportation, Aerospace, Communications, Machinery, Electrical equipment, Pharmaceuticals, and Other private industries
- Consulting firms
Strategies to Succeed
- Note that greatest demand is for applied mathematicians with skills in computer science, electronics design and theory, statistics and probability.
- Learn to use relevant software packages.
- Earn a master’s degree in math, business, or related field for advanced positions or for consulting jobs.
- Maintain excellent G.P.A. for graduate/professional school admission.
- Gain relevant experience through internships, volunteering, summer, or part-time jobs.
- Develop good oral and written communication skills. Learn to work well in teams.
2. Government Jobs
Federal agencies including Defense, Labor, Justice, Agriculture, Health and Human Services, Transportation, Commerce, Treasury, NASA, and Library of Congress State agencies involving research and problem-solving teams.
Government Job Functions
Strategies to Succeed
- Become familiar with government hiring procedures.
- Make contacts through involvement in campus, local, or state politics.
- Obtain internship with local, state, or federal government.
- Join related professional organizations.
- Maintain a high grade point average.
3. Market Research
- Market research firms
- Consumer goods manufacturing firms
Market Research Job Functions
- Data Collection
- Information Analysis
- Develop good oral and written communication skills.
- Acquire a business minor.
- Volunteer to assist a professor with research.
- Become a student member of the American Marketing Association.
- Assist with canvassing/phone interviewing for charities or political campaigns.
- Complete a market research internship.
- Commercial banks
- Regional banks
- Savings and loan associations
- Credit unions
Banking Job Functions
- Branch Management
- Credit Lending
Strategies for Success
- Complete an internship in a financial institution.
- Develop good interpersonal skills.
- Obtain a business minor.
- Develop excellent computer skills.
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Become the financial officer or treasurer of a campus organization.
5. Education Jobs
- Public schools
- Private schools
- Colleges and universities
Education Job Functions
- Visit this site for a full description.
- Obtain appropriate state licensure and/or certification for public school teaching positions.
- Volunteer to teach, supervise, or tutor with organizations such as Big Brother/Sister, YMCA, or churches.
- Develop excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Acquire a master’s degree or Ph.D. for teaching positions at the college or university level.
- Acquire a master’s degree to teach AP courses at the high school level.
Other Professions in the Field of Mathematics (Visit www.weusemath.org)
- Air Traffic Controller
- Budget Analyst
- Chemical Engineer
- College Professor
- Computational Scientist
- Cost Estimator
- Electrical Engineer
- Foreign Exchange Trader
- Forensic Analyst
- Inventory Control Specialist
- Market Research Analyst
- Mathematical Biophysicist
- Mathematical Physicist
- Mechanical Engineer
- National Security Analyst
- Nuclear Engineer
- Operations Research Analyst
- Petroleum Engineer
- Political Scientist
- Purchasing Agent
- Quantitative Financial Market Analyst
- Teacher, High School,
- Technical Writer
- Urban Planner