Illinois State University Mathematics Department
MAT 312: Probability and Statistics for Middle School Teachers
Here is a back-to-back stem-and-leaf plot that shows the number of building permits for single-family homes issued in Bloomington and in Normal (IL) for the years 1974 to 1993. Use it to answer as many questions as possible in (1) through (4) below.
1. Which of the two cities had the least number of permits issued in any single year?
2. What was the least number of permits issued in any single year?
3. In 10 of these 20 years, 200 or more building permits were issued in Bloomington. Circle one.
TRUE FALSE UNKNOWN
4. The median number of permits for Normal is more than 100. Circle one.
Multiple Choice: For questions (5) and (6), choose the one best response and circle the letter of that response.
5. Which visual representation named below preserves the data values?
6. Determine the upper inner fence for this data set: 1,2,4,4,4,7,8,8,9,9,9,9,9,11,15,15,20