Illinois State University Mathematics Department
MAT 312: Probability and Statistics for Middle School Teachers
Possible Solutions: Quiz #1
1. Which of the two cities had the least number of permits issued in any single year?
2. What was the least number of permits issued in any single year?
It was somewhere in thew range 20 to 29 permits, in Normal.
3. In 10 of these 20 years, 200 or more building permits were issued in Bloomington.
TRUE. Ten of the 20 leaves in the Bloomington plot represent values greater than 200.
4. The median number of permits for Normal is more than 100.
FALSE. The 10th and 11th leaves in the Normal plot are definitely below 100.
5. Which visual representation named below preserves the data values?
6. Determine the upper inner fence for this data set: 1,2,4,4,4,7,8,8,9,9,9,9,9,11,15,15,20