Need some help?
What does it take to have a successful career in Math?
Related Skills for Success in Mathematics
- Logical Thinker
- Strong numerical computational ability
- Ability to analyze, interpret data
- Problem solver
- Critical thinker
- Attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Works well in teams
Being Successful in the Field of Mathematics
- A bachelor's degree is often sufficient for entry-level positions, but an advanced degree may open the door to more upper-level opportunities. Pair a strong background in mathematics with another technical discipline such as computer science or engineering.
- Conduct informational interviews with professionals in areas of interest to enhance knowledge and make contacts.
- Stay informed of new developments and current trends in the field.
- Gain experience through volunteering, internships, and part-time or summer jobs.
- Develop competencies in a specific area of interest.
- Supplement curriculum with courses in business, economics, computers, or statistics for increased job opportunities.
- Maintain a high grade point average.
- Build relationships with faculty for career information, contacts, and letters of recommendation.
- Join related student professional associations and seek leadership positions.
Related Fields of Mathematics
- Data Processing
- Quality Control
- Statistical Processing Control
- Environmental Analysis