Illinois State University Mathematics Department
MAT 326: Technology Tools for Secondary School Mathematics
Dr. Roger Day (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Patio Cement Problem
- work on problem in small groups
- offer solutions attempts and stumbling blocks
Exploration: Quadratics Functions and Their Graphs
Can you picture the graph of y = ax2 + bx + c? In your small group, use these guidelines to help you carry out an exploration of graphs of quadratic functions, focusing particularly on the vertex of the parabola. A group submission is required.
Assignments for Next Time: Session #2 (27 August 2012)
- Continue group work on Quadratic Graphs exploration, including submission prep.
- Respond to the Session #1 Reflection Questions I send to you via email.
- Read "Climbing Around the Tree of Mathematics" article in The Mathematics Teacher, by Dan Kennedy. Respond to the Climbing Around Questions I send to you via email.
- Study the Overview of Geogebra 1 tutorial and use that information to create a Geogebra file similar to the GSP file (GSPDay1) with sliders for exploration of quadratic graphs. Submission guidelines to follow.
- Study the GSP5_Slider video tutorial and use that information to create a GSP5 file with sliders exploration for the following families of functions. Submission guidelines to follow:
- y = ax + b and
- y = ax3 + bx2 + cx + d.
Geogebra 1 (YouTube)
Around the Tree of Mathematics (PDF file)