Illinois State University Mathematics Department
MAT 326: Technology Tools for Secondary School Mathematics
Dr. Roger Day (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A Mathematical Investigation
To submit when we start next week's class, please reflect on the mathematical investigation, Open-Topped Box Problem, begun during class session #9 and finished during Session #10, and describe another investigation that could be implemented with technology. Here are the details.
Task #1: Reflection on Open-Topped Box Problem
Describe how technology was used in the exploration, indicate how technology was used to help make mathematical connections, and offer suggestions for making the exploration more effective with school students.
Task #2: Describe Another Investigation
Describe another mathematical exploration within which technology could be implemented. In your description, include:
- a brief statement of the assumed course/grade level;
- the key question or questions that students will explore;
- the role of technology within the exploration; and
- a short list (two or three items) of what you'll look for to determine the success of the investigation
Task #3: Identify Key Points of Implementation
List and describe what you consider to be the key points a secondary school mathematics teacher must face and address in order to succeed in implementing technology into the curriculum. Be specific.
Be prepared to discuss your responses next week. You will turn in your written work--for all three tasks--when class begins next week. Please type or word process your responses, provide citations as appropriate, and start a new page for the response to each task.
Assigned: 22 October 2012
Due: 29 October 2012
Assessment Rubric for OTB Writing Assignment
A total of 15 points can be earned for this assignment, apportioned according to the following elements:
- 5 points for thoughtful and clear statement of reflection (Task #1)
- 5 points for complete and accurate description of investigation (Task #2)
- 5 points for clearly articulated and supported statement of key points of implementation (Task #3)