To be eligible, applicants must meet all of the following criteria: * Be a US Citizen, US National, US Permanent Resident, or Admitted Refugee. * Pursue an undergraduate degree in secondary mathematics education on a full-time basis at ISU. * Have demonstrated academic ability or potential. * Have demonstrated financial need (must complete a FAFSA form).
- Complete the S-STEM Scholarship Application Form Download Word document or pdf document .
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file at the ISU Office of Financial Aid .
- Submit an unofficial transcript (DARS printout is OK). If you are an incoming freshman, please submit a copy of your high school transcripts.
- Incoming Freshmen & Incoming Transfers: Submit two letters of recommendation from your instructors. At least one of the letters should be from an instructor familiar with your mathematical achievements and suitability for the secondary mathematics education program.
- Currently Enrolled ISU Students: Submit two names of mathematics faculty who can act as references for you.
Send your completed application (by April 29 , 2011) to:
ISU S-STEM Scholarships
c/o Professor Saad EL-Zanati
Department of Mathematics
Illinois State University
Normal, IL 61790
Note: If you need to fax some of the information, please fax it to: (309) 438-5866
Obligations Under the Award:
Should you be awarded an S-STEM Scholarship, you will be obligated to:
- Maintain your status as a full time student (12 credits hours per semester) in Secondary Mathematics Education.
- Maintain a 3.00 GPA (both in-major & overall).
- Meet with your designated S-STEM advisor on a monthly basis.
- Attend certain seminars and workshops that are designed to help you develop academically and professionally.
- Be mentored by an advanced S-STEM scholar who will act as your peer mentor. The mentor will share his/her ISU experiences and help you to learn more about the major.
- Complete a survey that will be administered at the end of each semester and be interviewed occasionally to assess the effectiveness of the S-STEM scholar program.
- Act as a peer mentor during your second year in the program.
- Participate in professional development activities.
Scholarship recipients will also be encouraged to live on the Math Lifestyle Floor (Manchaster Hall) and to take advantage of some of the unique opportunities offered to secondary education majors at ISU (such as participation in the Teacher-Scholar Program & other undergraduate research opportunities).
Receiving an S-STEM scholarship does not preclude you from obtaining other scholarships from Illinois State University or the Mathematics Department (although the total amount of grants and scholarships you receive cannot exceed the Cost of Attendance).
In February 2009, the Department of Mathematics at Illinois State University (ISU) received funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF) for scholarships for academically talented financially needy secondary mathematics education majors. The $596,611 award is from NSF's Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (S-STEM) program. On Average, the department will award about 26 scholarships annually (up to $5,000 per scholarship) for the next two academic years for students majoring in secondary mathematics education (current and incoming students). Each scholarship is renewable for a maximum of four semesters of undergraduate study at ISU subject to funding.
The ISU S-STEM Scholarships Team:
- Saad El-Zanati (PI), Department of Mathematics
- David Barker (Co-PI), Department of Mathematics
- McKenzie Clements (Co-PI), Department of Mathematics
- Tami Martin (Co-PI), Department of Mathematics
- Michael Plantholt (Co-PI), Department of Mathematics
- Jana Albrecht (Senior Personnel), Office of Financial Aid
- Robert Bye (Project Administrator), Department of Mathematics
- Nerida Ellerton (Senior Personnel), Department of Mathematics
- Cynthia Langrall (Senior Personnel), Department of Mathematics
- Robert E. Lee (Senior Personnel), College of Education
- Papa Amar Sissokho (Senior Personnel), Department of Mathematics
For information on the ISU S-STEM Scholarships, contact Professor El-Zanati - E-Mail: saad[AT]ilstu.edu; Phone: (309) 438-5765