Welcome to the Department of Mathematics at Illinois State University. You are invited to explore our Web site to learn about our programs, our faculty and students, upcoming events and opportunities, and other useful and interesting information.
The mission of the Department of Mathematics at Illinois State University is to:
- provide a supportive environment for the learning of mathematics;
- provide the opportunity for mathematics and mathematics education majors to receive a high-quality undergraduate education;
- provide the opportunity for students from other disciplines to learn mathematics and its applications;
- provide the opportunity for high-quality graduate education through our master's and doctoral programs;
- contribute to the development and growth of mathematical sciences and mathematics education through research and scholarship;
- prepare high-quality elementary, middle school, secondary, and post-secondary mathematics teachers;
- contribute to the improvement of the teaching and learning of mathematics in schools and other educational institutions;
- and promote an understanding of the contributions mathematics has made to society through outreach and service to the community.
This mission statement underlies the Department's commitment to teaching its discipline, to teaching teachers of its discipline, and to scholarly activities and public service in its discipline.
Message from the Chair
The faculty of the Department of Mathematics here at Illinois State University are committed to the success of students. This plays out:
- in our classrooms where students develop independent thinking,
- in activities for students that include several clubs, regular events, and peer tutoring,
- in research and internship opportunities for students.
Through this we have developed nationally recognized programs in Mathematics Education and Actuarial Sciences.
We're also proud of our programs in Pure and Applied Mathematics, which include coursework in Biomathematics, Statistics, and Discrete Mathematics, as well as our newly developed sequence in Big Data and Computational Intelligence. Whatever your interests, we have programs that will challenge you, prepare you for rewarding careers, and engage you in exciting opportunities. Our faculty love to share our passion for mathematics with our students and regularly engage in research projects with both undergraduate and graduate students. At ISU you'll get the benefits of a big university, with a small-university feel.
Benton Duncan, Chair